National Thank You Note Day is officially celebrated on December 26th, but don’t you think expressing written gratitude is a good habit anytime? I think the spirit of this day is focused on a handwritten note, but I would argue that a thank you email can be effective, especially in the workplace.
Taking the time to send a thoughtful thank you note is becoming a lost art in our world of texting and emojis. Sometimes the word “thanks” is shortened to “thx” in a text! We really don’t have enough time to type out the full “thank you”? Really? Thanking people for their gifts, hospitality, generosity, and time is a good habit to practice year-round.
Thank You Note Structure
Thank you notes can make someone’s day. They can also set you apart in the workplace or during the interview process. If you didn’t grow up writing thank you notes, the process may feel awkward. You can’t celebrate National Thank You Note Day if you don’t know how to write one! Let’s start with an outline for your thank you note.
- Dear Grandma, Dear Mr./Ms. Interviewer Name, Hi, Ms./Mr. Prospect
- Pay attention and be sure to spell the name correctly
- I once received a typed, paper thank you note after an in-person interview addressed to Mr. Chris Scherting. My pronouns are she/her so that thank you note backfired.
- Express your gratitude and say thank you
- Thank you so much for the $5 and the Halloween card.
- Thank you for taking the time to meet with me regarding the open position.
- It was great speaking with you today. I really appreciate your time.
- Add some details
- I already used the $5 to splurge on a holiday cappuccino!
- I really enjoyed our conversation and hearing more about your company.
- I was impressed to hear about your approach to meeting your goals.
- Restate your thanks
- Thanks again, Grandma!
- Thank you in advance for your consideration and I look forward to hearing from you soon.
- Thanks again for your time.
- Close with your regards
How to Send a Thank You Note to Your Grandparents
If you are away at college and your grandma sends you $5, she will likely be thrilled to hear from you in any way! Even if you are in the same town as your grandparents, if they take the time to send you a card or give you a gift, a thank you note will always be much appreciated.
- Text: This is the bare minimum. “Thx for the $5 and Halloween card! What a fun surprise! Love you!”
- Call: In this case a thank you call could replace the thank you note. I know my parents are over-the-moon anytime a grandchild takes the time to call.
- Hand-written Note: You can never go wrong writing a note to your grandparents.
- Hi Grandma and Grandpa, Thank you so much for the $5 and Halloween card. I don’t get a lot of mail so this was a fun surprise! I used it for pizza while I was studying. Thanks again, love, your name.
How to Write a Post-interview Thank You Note
In my recent experience with interviewing job candidates, I see the thank you email is fading into extinction. As an elder Gen X-er, I still place a lot of value on this effort. I think it is a clue into the person’s character and how they will treat their coworkers, clients, and vendors. I would venture to say that many candidates don’t take the time to send post-interview thank you note. So, if you do, and it is a good one, it will help you stand out.
Writing the thank you will be easier if you take notes during the interview process. Then you can customize each person’s note with details from each conversation and continue selling your skills. For example:
Thank you for your time today. I really enjoyed our conversation and learning more about [company name].
I appreciate your openness and honesty about your successes and the areas in which you would like to improve. I believe my experience in [customize] could be useful [more customized details I forgot to mention in the interview]
I look forward to hearing from you soon. I'm very interested in this position and welcome the opportunity to meet other members of the team.
How to Write a Sales Thank You Note
There are multiple times throughout the selling stages where a thank you note can be a helpful tool as you build a relationship with a prospect. In most cases I would expect an email in the same day or within 24 hours. On the other hand, I receive very little mail other than industry magazines. A sales person could really stand out with a handwritten note.
- Introduction call: When I agree to take an intro call with a salesperson, I think a follow-up email with a thank you note is appropriate and appreciated. It also provides a channel for the salesperson to provide additional information or resources.
- It was great speaking with you today and thank you again for taking the time. Please find attached:
- The overview deck we reviewed
- The case study for a client in your industry
- The report I promised.
- Based on our conversation, I think ABC company could help you in several areas…(reiterate your value prop, etc.)
- I will follow up in a few days.
Celebrate National Thank You Note Day Year Round!
You know how nice it feels when someone says thank you via text or in person. A hand-written thank you note is even better. Every day you get your mail and it’s filled with junk mail and catalogs. You know the feeling when you see a handwritten envelope. Share that feeling with some gratitude!
Writing thank you notes and creating a culture of gratitude are a few of the topics we include in our library of off-the-shelf training you can offer to your employees. If you are a job seeker, this course is included in our app, Qualified by ej4.
- How to Get an Entry-Level Job with No Experience
- Tips for Cultivating Gratitude in the Workplace
- Easy Ways to Say Thanks to Employees
- Qualified by ej4: Job Hunting Tips to Help You Get Hired Quickly